Amy Sherman-Palladino's new entry into television world sees her trademark dialogue, the majority of the cast and the same personality type from Gilmore Girls plonked into a dance school setting. Needless to say I hated it. My love for Gilmore Girls is strong but I always recognised the flaws (coughRorycoughLogancoughfinalseasoncough). I found Bunheads to be a show where Sherman-Palladino embraced all those flaws and made them worse. The only thing I liked was Emily Bishop...and that's about it.
It was so lacking in ambition that every appearance by her GG stable of actors made my hackles rise. Tonally it was off - if you've seen the last minute of the pilot you know what I mean. There was a complete lack of diversity in ethnicity, gender or perspective. The dance outfits weren't cute and while Sutton Foster is talented, I didn't want to see a rehashing of something I've always experienced in a higher form.
I did like Boo - that's about it.
With every announcement of a new GG alum dropping by I am glad I have bowed out...if not gracefully.
I had read the many critical reviews from Sepinwall, McNutt and other tv journalists who's opinions I respect. I was prepared for the worst. Not to say that the plot and character breakdown was pretty much the same as SportsNight except a drama instead of a comedy. I still found myself enjoying it. I do find Aaron Sorkin smug, occasionally sexist and all around on the nose at times but I still buy into the experience. Call me a pushover.
But then the cast is pretty darned good, even if some of their dialogue is pretty rank at times.
Definitely watching this until Sorkin doesn't something anvil-like horrendous.
Also - Sam Waterson is adorable.
Films to cross off my to do list:
- The Amazing Spider-Man - my love for Andrew Garfield and Emma Stone shall never wane (may they never break up)
- My Sister's Sister - Blunt, Witt and Duplaus...improvised drama....uh yeah
- The Sapphires - Mailman and O'Dowd!
- Cabin in the Woods - when I finally find someone willing to go with me
- Safety Not Guaranteed - YES
- People Like Us - Pine, Banks and a sibling drama
- Brave - I don't typically do animated but this looks good
- Hysteria - a historical comedy about vibrators? What's not to like?
- The Bourne Legacy - I love this series, it may not be Damon but I do love Renner
Seriously - where were all these movies in the first six month of this year?