I am the first child that my mother introduced into the world. She was only 24, living in a state away from her family and embarking into the unknown. Four and a half years later she was not yet my age and had three little ones causing havoc around her. It's that last sentence that gets me. At my age, my mother had three lives to be responsible for, to be selfless for and to clean up after. It blows my mind. Mainly due to the fact that I can't conceive of being ready for any of that. And that's what makes my mum special...amongst other things.
Some other things:
- The Bangles Greatest Hits CD she gave me ten years after she had melted my Bangles cassette tape.
- Our collective work ethic....it's from her.
- Allowing us all to make her the butt of the joke - whether it be her continual need to declare any male on the celluloid as Tom Cruise or Jerry Seinfeld or her feet.
- Encouraging us all to play as many sports as possible and supporting us despite the fact she hadn't had that herself.
- Her roast pototoes.
- All the times she had to work at the football/netball in the canteen - ugh (I am so so sorry).
- Taking that day off five years ago so I could take my class on that excursion...we wouldn't have been able to have gone without you.
- For being the perfect height for a hug, and as an arm stand.
- For giving me the "talk" while on a freeway so it was impossible for me to flee the car. (You're crafty).
- For getting annoyed at us for speaking to each other from another room, and yet you do the same thing (and expecting us to hear you properly :)
- For not getting the blogging thing but being completely supportive of it anyway because it made me happy.
- For my birthday party this year. I know what that took. Thank you.
- For keeping the promise (to take me to Phantom of the Opera the next time it was in town) from when I was eight even though it took 12 years and statute of limitations could have been invoked.
- For introducing us to musicals instead of cartoons as children.
- For caring for our friends.
- For making us all believe we could do anything we wanted (I got a perm - not all choices work out.)
- For hating Jerry Lewis - you have taste.
- For introducing me to Grand Designs.
- For making those golden syrup dumplings and cinnamon cake - they taste like home.
- For finally pursuing your wants and seeing the world.
- For being you.
- For my sister and brother.
Happy Mother's Day, Mum. I love you.
There may be millions of mums but you're extra special because you are mine (and E and R's.)