The Big 5
1. Gilbert Blythe (Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery)
Anne Shirley's mon ami, he's proud, self-sacrificing and he's loves Anne even after she breaks a slate over her head and other untold damage. I like a man confident enough to love a clumsy woman.
2. Jonah Briggs (Jellicoe Road - Melina Marchetta)
He's my biggest YA crush - he's got the whole military uniform going on, plus he's strong, masculine but a great listener. He's no push over, he's fully developed and he's buff.
3. Lucius (Jessica's Guide to Dating on the Dark Side - Beth Fantaskey)
If I am going to have to have a supernatural man on the list (unfortunately the Winchester boys don't qualify) then it's going to be this Romanian born, male chauvinist, elegant and charming gentleman vamp. He likes his woman feisty, curvy and snarky - what's not to love? (Evernight's Balthazar just got edged out.)
4. John After (Going Too Far - Jenn Echols)
I think the uniform thing is becoming an issue but this guy puts up with a whiny firecracker in the passenger seat of his cop car. He's protective, understanding, responsible, wounded and steamy.
5. Owen Armstrong (Just Listen - Sarah Dessen)
It seems necessary to have a Dessen boy on this list as they are the shadow in which all other YA authors must create their own romantic leads. Owen is great though as he's quiet, confident, self assured enough to pursue his passions, understanding and encouraging. He doesn't lie. He's also pretty tolerant of an extremely vexing younger sister.
1. Edward / Jacob (Twilight Series - Stephenie Meyer)
Two dimensional being who lust after a boring, helpless, snivelling girl aren't my thing. I'd much rather Charlie.
2. David / Tamari (Wings - Aprilynne Pike)
A Triangle of Yawn.
3. Jace (Mortal Instruments Series - Cassandra Clare)
A temperamental little jerk-face.
4. Lucas (Evernight - Claudia Gray)
Annoying, yucky, issue ridden and not Balthazar.
5. Professor Bhaer (Little Women - LM Alcott)
He's old and boring. How could Jo want him over Laurie?
(I will post a Top 5 Girl Crush List next week).